STEVE REID Editor & Publisher email@example.com The Longboat Village hosted what looks to be the final public showdown between this year’s crop of commission candidates. The event was part of the Longbeach Village Association’s monthly meeting and allowed At-Large candidates Jim Brown and Gene Jaleski as well as District 4 candidates Jack Daly and [...]
Final debate of election brings strong answers and differences.
• Details of future Islandside plan revealed; Bob White protests.
• Is the Longboat Hilton project being handled correctly? Candidates differ.
• Which candidates are firmly against cell towers? Read the answers.
• Why did Jaleski quit the Commission last time? George Spoll takes issue.
• Any lessons learned from the recent defeats in court? You decide.
The key is aging rapidly and you cannot ignore that, and one of the main problems is getting people to recognize it; and this commission is trying to solve that. There’s a problem with getting people to recognize that the key needs to be kept up. Most of the key was built before 1980, and the Comprehensive Plan was written in 1984, which means as soon as the plan was written, most of the buildings were immediately not up to code. We need to recognize that and make them better,”
On Friday, Jan. 11, the Longboat Key Republican Club threw the first candidate debate for the upcoming Longboat Key Commission election in March. The event was held at the Sarasota Yacht Club with members of the Longboat Key Republican Club moderating the event, and members of the Longboat Key Democratic Club attending as well. Candidates [...]