Siesta Key Beach named number one beach in America
Siesta Key Beach was named the number one beach in the 20th annual Top 10 Beach List, produced by coastal expert Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman (a.k.a. Dr. Beach), director of Florida International University’s Laboratory for Coastal Research.
“Siesta Beach in Sarasota boasts that it has the finest and whitest sand in the world, and I cannot argue with this claim; the powdery sand is nearly pure quartz crystal. The beautiful blue-colored water is clean and clear, making it so inviting to bathers and swimmers. The beach is hundreds of yards wide, attracting volleyball players and beachcombers as well as those who just want to find their place in the sun. Waves at Siesta Beach are normally measured in inches and the beach gradually slopes into the Gulf waters, making it a very safe area for children,” wrote Leatherman in his description of Siesta Key beach.
As “Dr. Beach” (www.DrBeach.org), Leatherman has selected the annual Top 10 Beaches since 1991. Fifty criteria are used to evaluate beaches, which include water and sand quality as well as safety and environmental management. Dr. Leatherman is an internationally known coastal scientist who has published 17 books, with the most recent being “Rip Currents: Beach Safety, Physical Oceanography and Wave Modeling” (CRC Press, May 2011), and hundreds of scientific articles about storm impacts, erosion and ways to improve beach health and safety.
Dr. Beach’s Top 10 Beaches List for 2011
1. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Fla.
2. Coronado Beach, San Diego, Calif.
3. Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
4. Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y.
5. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina
6. St. George Island State Park, Florida panhandle
7. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.
8. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
9. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
10. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Fla.
Enter your email below to receive occasional Longboat Key breaking news eblasts and updates.